Sunday, 25 June 2017

A New Hobby

Been a long time since I posted anything on this. Still not got anywhere with that BMP model. But I'll pick it back up at some point. Since then, got married, got a dog, got a kid and a house so free time to do anything else is limited!

However, one possible hobby that has taken a bit of my interest.....

Stay tuned!!

Tuesday, 20 January 2015

#1 Zvezda BMP 2 1:35 (Iraqi Gulf War 1990 - 1991)

So as part of a group build, I am making an Iraqi BMP 2. The modelling kit is manufactured by Zvezda, ie 'Made in Russia'. So far, I built the three main parts. The plastics seem to be ok, not as good as Tamiya but its workable. The proof in eating the pudding will be marrying the three parts together.

Wednesday, 12 June 2013

#1 Tamiya 1:35 T55A




Here it is! my latest project... a Tamiya 1:35 T55A Russian Main Battle Tank. On initial inspection of the kit, I have to say compared to my previous model made by Italeri, it does not appear to be as detailed with no metal parts. However, this is just an initial opinion and I am sure once I start putting this together the detail will appear. This is my first Tamiya kit. I have heard good things about Tamiya and the price for this kit was reasonable at £33. This will probably take me a few months to complete since I have many things on the go at the moment so stay tuned..... 

Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Coming soon....

Well it's been a while and it has been a busy couple of years for me but finally I have found time... I think; to build a new model and will apply what I learned from my previous model to the new one I am going to build. Can anyone have a guess what it may be?

Monday, 8 August 2011

#11 Italeri 1:35 Tiger 1 Ausf. E

The latest so far.....I feel I am still missing something. I am not sure whether to try and use Tamiya buff along the sides, front and rear for a further dust effect.

I used MIG Productions pigments for the rust and dust effects. Applied several layers to build up the areas of rust, from fresh to old. I also used a soft lead pencil to create bare metal. The pigments were applied and fixed using Essence of turpentine. I previously used Iso Propyl Alcohol (IPA) on my 1:72 Panther model but that attacked the paint! The essence of turps worked a treat as you can see. I still have to add soot on the exhaust mufflers and on the muzzle of the cannon. I may yet add a little more pigment to the tracks but we'll see....











 


Friday, 29 July 2011

#10 Italeri 1:35 Tiger 1 Ausf. E

It's late and I'm tired so going to keep this brief! Been a couple of weeks since my last post but I have been busy with other things so needs must. 

Anyway, with the salt grain effect going a bit offish after applying clear gloss, I needed to do something that would remedy it. Wasn't such a big deal really. So, the next stage was to really kick the weathering off. Firstly, to try and fade the paint a little to give it that sun bleached look. For this I wasn't sure weather to try Tamiya Buff or something similar. A gentleman recommended to use oil paints. I wasn't really wanting to dive into the realm of oil paints as yet, since effectively I am still a noob at this game. However, one of the recommendations was 502 Abteilung German Three - Tone Fading no. Abt155. So I thought, what the hell, this is exactly what I want to do so might as well give it a try. Can't be any different from a wash. You can see the contrast between the upper and lower hulls. Looking at real armour, the lower hull doesnt seem to fade as much as the upper hull. I blab on! I said I'd be quick right? Ok here are the latest images so far....










 

Wednesday, 13 July 2011

#9 Italeri 1:35 Tiger 1 Ausf. E

Thought I'd fire in a quick post before the next update.... I am currently waiting on some oil paints to arrive in the post before I apply a pin wash and some 'grease' on the wheel hubs. To prepare for this, I have now applied a flat clear acrylic varnish by Xtracrylics all over the model. I left the first coat to dry for 20 minutes then applied a 2nd. Strangely enough... the same thing happened when I applied an earlier clear gloss coat.... the salt chip residue 'frosted' up. It was easy to remedy when the oil wash was applied, but after the coat of gloss I'd have thought it would have sealed in.... apparently not. Either I have discovered a way to create a frost look in winter or it's just a mess I have created. Anyway, I am sure when it comes to the time to spray a buff coat and some pigments, it should clear it again. Some pics below, just to show that a salt/glue mix can have side effects.