Tuesday, 31 May 2011

#2 Italeri 1:35 Tiger 1 Ausf. E

I am finding the parts go together ok. At the seams, I may need to use putty to fill in the gaps. Another first for me but will be good to see how it pans out. Here are a few more images of where I am so far. Painted the engine, just to get in some practise with paints, pigments and varnishes. Once this model is complete, the engine will be locked away, never to be seen again, so I will taking as many pictures as I can of it. The engine was primed with grey primer, then blackened with Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black acrylic paint. It was then sealed with clear gloss varnish. From there I applied an oil wash using 502 Abteilung Wash Brown thinned with turpentine. Then I used a mixture of Valejo and MIG rust effect paint and pigments. Finished off with a flat varnish. The metal look on top of the engine was created using Valejo Oily Steel. The remainder of the tank shall be primed once the side skirts are on. Still to build the turret...











Monday, 23 May 2011

#1 Italeri 1:35 Tiger 1 Ausf. E

There is a horrible gale force wind outside in Sunny Scotland! A few days ago I picked up my latest project... an Italeri 1:35 Tiger I Ausf. E Main battle tank. This is my first attempt at a model of this scale and so far has been a pleasure, albight time consuming. At first, it felt a bit daunting as there are so many intricate pieces. However, taking it step by step, it becomes clear how easy this model actually is to assemble. The most time consuming part so far has been the assembling of the tracks. If you ever get this model, I'd advise sticking a movie on so you don't die of boredom! The next stage for me before I fully assemble the hull is to paint the engine bay and the engine (yes it goes into detail). I'll probably paint the bay in a red oxide colour and use flat back for the engine with some MIG Pigments. Time for a game of Company of Heroes...

Stay tuned....






Sunday, 15 May 2011

First Post! Revell 1:72 Panther Ausf. G

Well, today has certainly been a good day! My team Glasgow Rangers have won the league again! 54 League titles and counting!! Celtic don't even come close!

Anyway, back to the important stuff. Tanks and photography, but I'll stick to tank modelling for my first post. It's something I have recently started, firstly with 2x Airfix 1:75 Tiger tanks which were a mixture of hand brushing and humbrol enamel paint... they looked like toys. So I wanted to get more realism for the next model I made. I bought myself a 1:72 Revell Panther Ausf. G. I have to say there is a huge difference in quality between Airfix and Revell. The latter being the more detailed. 

The finished product is below. I am quite pleased with the result so far. A combination of using an airbrush, Tamiya acrylic paints, 502 Abteilung oil paint, gloss and matt varnish and some crushed pastel with Isopropyl alcohol to create dust and mud.The rust effects were created by using MIG Pigments light and dark rust. 

Stay tuned for the next model.... 1:35 Italeri Tiger Tank!