Friday, 29 July 2011

#10 Italeri 1:35 Tiger 1 Ausf. E

It's late and I'm tired so going to keep this brief! Been a couple of weeks since my last post but I have been busy with other things so needs must. 

Anyway, with the salt grain effect going a bit offish after applying clear gloss, I needed to do something that would remedy it. Wasn't such a big deal really. So, the next stage was to really kick the weathering off. Firstly, to try and fade the paint a little to give it that sun bleached look. For this I wasn't sure weather to try Tamiya Buff or something similar. A gentleman recommended to use oil paints. I wasn't really wanting to dive into the realm of oil paints as yet, since effectively I am still a noob at this game. However, one of the recommendations was 502 Abteilung German Three - Tone Fading no. Abt155. So I thought, what the hell, this is exactly what I want to do so might as well give it a try. Can't be any different from a wash. You can see the contrast between the upper and lower hulls. Looking at real armour, the lower hull doesnt seem to fade as much as the upper hull. I blab on! I said I'd be quick right? Ok here are the latest images so far....










 

Wednesday, 13 July 2011

#9 Italeri 1:35 Tiger 1 Ausf. E

Thought I'd fire in a quick post before the next update.... I am currently waiting on some oil paints to arrive in the post before I apply a pin wash and some 'grease' on the wheel hubs. To prepare for this, I have now applied a flat clear acrylic varnish by Xtracrylics all over the model. I left the first coat to dry for 20 minutes then applied a 2nd. Strangely enough... the same thing happened when I applied an earlier clear gloss coat.... the salt chip residue 'frosted' up. It was easy to remedy when the oil wash was applied, but after the coat of gloss I'd have thought it would have sealed in.... apparently not. Either I have discovered a way to create a frost look in winter or it's just a mess I have created. Anyway, I am sure when it comes to the time to spray a buff coat and some pigments, it should clear it again. Some pics below, just to show that a salt/glue mix can have side effects.









 

Friday, 8 July 2011

#8 Italeri 1:35 Tiger 1 Ausf. E

Been a busy week this week with work, but still found some time to do more on the model. The salt grains that had been embedded earlier, I chipped them off with a toothpick which revealed the effect If was looking for.... chipped paint! I then sprayed clear gloss varnish all over the model to seal the original paint scheme in. Then I applied the decals (turret number and kreuz) before re-sealing everything with the gloss varnish. I left this to cure for a couple of days before I moved onto the oil wash stage. 

The other purpose of applying gloss varnish is that when an oil wash is applied, the wash easily runs all over the model using capillary action. The oil wash was made up from 502 Abteilung wash brown oil paint and essence of turpentine to thin it out. The ratio 20/80, which gave a nice flowing action when applied. I tried this method on the previous 1:72 Panther model I built and didnt come out very well as the mix was too viscous. This time I got it right. Hope you enjoy the pics....More to follow in the next few days.